Monday, August 4, 2008

Sunday

OK, so I've got my days off here somehow. Never mind the day titles, they're wrong.

Anyway, the next day we rode to Yellowstone and got there in the morning and found a campsite in the park. Everytime we get there we are reminded about how big that park really is. It's huge. After we set up the tent, we took off to ride over Beartooth Pass. What a ride!! I know, I keep saying that but the rides just keep amazing me. This one too. Instead of the passs being between two mountains so you sort of pass between them, this one goes right over the top! 10,947 feet over the top. You could see forever. And we were way above the snow line. Totally cool.

Then we rode into Cody and on into Yellowstone,. There were several fire zones along the road to the east entrance with fire fighters stationed all along the way watching the smoldering for flalre ups. Miles and miles of fire. Right down to the road. And lots of smoke. It was weird to ride past and watch trees explode as the fire burned them.

Then - here iof all places - as we were racing to get back to the campsite before it got totally dark, wouldn't you believe it -- the sun was going down and I was thinking that I couldn't see and that if there was going to be a buffalo in the road I'd hit it before I saw it. And sure enough, we came around a curve and there was a WHOLE HERD OF BUFFALO IN THE ROAD!!!! I hate buffalo in the road. And all the people in their cars got out, leaving their cars inthe way to take pics of the buffalo. GRRR. We fionally just drove around the cars down the middle of the road. At one point passing less that an arm's length from a giant buffalo who growled and looked at me. AACK!! Seriously, he growled. Or some loud, irritated buffalo growling-like noise. Large, large buffalo.

Did I mention that I hate buffalo in the road?

No comments: